Saturday, 3 May 2014

Coconut Oil For Teeth

We have had a few weeks of cold and wet--snow and rain mixed which swamped our new yard and caused the compost to pile up (the pile being in the muddiest part of the yard). Daily I swept up a dustpan FULL of mud and dirt from the yard, adding this to the compost waiting to be taken out. At the same time we lost our sporadic and unreliable internet connection. The only thing consistent about our internet is the monthly bill that rolls in whether you have a signal or not. But I digress :)

Spring is tentative this year. The moisture has helped to bring a glint of green, here and there. We need some heat for things to erupt, but in the meantime we are wearing our toques in the wind and preparing to plant lawn. The list of projects is long but after waiting all winter to tackle most of them, it is very satisfying to begin. Outdoors we have wood to split and stack, rocks and stones to pick, lumber to stack and raised beds to build, along with a new compost bin and swales (more on all of this later). Indoors we have painted the basement and are sealing the concrete floor down there. We aren't going to finish the ceiling this year but trim and baseboards will come soon. It is a busy time and Husband is home to help. It is nice to work together as a family.

I will post on our many projects as we complete them. For today, I wanted to share what I have learned about coconut oil. I heard from friends about the many uses of coconut oil so bought some and tried it in baking (like it but it's expensive). My brother takes a teaspoon per day in his coffee to prevent gout.  I finally gathered my nerve and tried coconut oil on my teeth in what is called a "pull". Essentially you take a teaspoon full of coconut oil in the mouth and swish it through your teeth for ten to twenty minutes (or as long as you can stand it). My first attempt was a wretched four minutes but by then I lost my nerve and the kids needed yelling at. Husband bragged that he managed 24 minutes so my next try was more determined (and the kids were being bathed by their dad so I had no excuse). I swished the oil for 16 minutes and will continue to use the oil daily for a couple more days. My sensitive teeth are no longer bothering me; they appear more white (even the coffee stains on the backs of my bottom teeth) and hot and cold foods are no longer painful to eat. Husband agrees and we are fans of the oil (if not the melting sensation of lard turning to oil in my mouth). If you have sensitive teeth but dread the dentist (bill) you might give it a try--I found it in the health food aisle at the grocery store.

Have you ever tried coconut oil? I've read about its many uses--what do you use it for?


2 comments:

  1. Coconut oil on sensitive teeth is really interesting, I might give it a go. I've not heard of this use before, and I'd be very happy if it worked. It sounds like you're really busy, I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it, let me know if it helps :) I'm glad I gave it a chance-- I don't like the toothpaste for sensitive teeth and can't use whitening toothpaste because it hurts. So this is solving both of those problems without going to the dentist! Thanks for reading!

      Delete